Saturday, August 19, 2017

Final butterflies of the season

I have not had any more caterpillars succumb to parasites, or viruses.  As of today I have released 23 healthy Monarchs, I have 4 that will hatch today, still another 6 or more in the next week, and too many caterpillars to even count, so I am far from finished with the season.  It's exciting to think that all will be heading to Mexico that will be released in the next few weeks, so it's doubly important that they are healthy and strong!  I have noticed a decrease in eggs and caterpillars out in the wild, and I'm wondering if that has to do with cooler and wetter than average August.  I am curious if they will rebound if it warms up, as it is predicted to do.  I will continue to look for another couple weeks, but I am cautious about raising any that will hatch too late to fly south, as last year all my late hatchlings died, which was very traumatic for me.  I believe it was simply due to it being too cold for them to survive.
I took some fun pictures over the past week....the first is a picture of a milkweed plant in my aquarium with a caterpillar on almost every leaf, all different instars (sizes), then in comparison the same plant after those caterpillars had done their work!  The other one is a photo of my daughter helping to release a female, and it's sitting on her shoulder.
As always....keep raising those butterflies.  I believe we are making a difference!
Spread the word and Save the MONARCH!



No comments:

Post a Comment