Sunday, July 1, 2018

July 1. Update

We are only a month or so into the season and I have already raised and released nearly 50 butterflies!  There was a few days that I didn't find anything as the first generation (in Minnesota) were busy mating and laying eggs, now I expect to find many more in the next two months as we head toward the Super Monarch generation that will migrate south to Mexico.

Last year I had only released 2 butterflies by now, and a total of 75.  This year I'm expecting to triple that number! 

A few people have asked me about tagging. Tagging begins mid to late August. Remember the current butterflies mate, lay eggs and die, so tagging them now does not serve any real purpose except to see if my released butterflies return to my own yard to lay eggs.   Even then the odds of me seeing the female laying eggs in my garden is slim.   So right now the significance of my releasing 50 plus healthy adults (almost 75% female) is that there are that many monarchs out there reproducing.   So I continue to believe that those of us that are back yard scientists, just out there raising Monarchs in a safe environment are adding numbers to the population and making a difference to SAVE the Monarchs!!  So keep up the good work. If this year is any indication the numbers are up and our efforts are helping.

#SavetheMonarch


No comments:

Post a Comment