Saturday, June 9, 2018

June 8


 The Monarch caterpillar season is going strong already!  Every time I check plants for caterpillars I'm finding them.  IT's been several years since that has happened, so what is different about this year?  I'm not a scientist, but as with everything, it must have to do with climate.    We can only speculate what it will mean for the Super Monarch population in August.
AS of the writing of this blog I have 1 Chrysalis, 1 in a J, 11 eggs and more caterpillars than I can count.   Finding food, cleaning out frass and keeping track of babies and eggs takes many hours every day, but it's so much fun to watch the process and feel like my small caterpillar farm is making a difference.
AS always if you're experienced at this, or new to the idea, or thinking about joining the crusade, do some research before you get in over your head.   It takes a lot of time and commitment and a bit of ingenuity  to be a help for these beautiful butterflies. I am always willing to help, give advice, share ideas with newbies and there's lots of information online.
It's going to be a great summer!!
SAVE THE MONARCH!


No comments:

Post a Comment